Walking the path of a client

I can only take others as far as I’ve come, that’s why it’s so essential for counsellors to walk the path of a client and evolve as a person. When I see a client with low self-esteem sat before me who struggled to make it to the session, I remind myself of the day when I just about dragged myself out of bed and attended my first therapy session in my pyjamas. At least I made it, but I can relate to that heavy feeling that doesn’t want us to leave the house and face our shadow side. That’s what enables me to have empathy for those walking a similar path to that which I have taken. I applaud those who have the courage to take that first step towards healing, not knowing what demons they may have to face along the way.

We’ve probably all met people who are in denial in our lives, those that say “I don’t need counselling” whilst they harbour resentment for the attention they never received as a child and suppress it with drink or other methods. And while we may be able to see how they desperately need help, only they can find the inner strength to try to better themselves and heal. It can sometimes be a pivotal moment in our life that triggers us and pushes us to seek counselling, and it can equally be moments in the therapy room that enable us to see things differently and make changes.

People are often guided to therapy when they have an issue they can’t resolve, but for some the challenge is realising they have an issue in the first place. Sometimes a nudge from a loved one or health care professional might urge a person to reach out for help, perhaps those caring people can see the part of them that they don’t want to see for themselves. Other times someone may not understand the fact that the situation they find themselves in is not normal, for example, living in an abusive household or being on the receiving end of someone’s rage, and when disclosing their private life with a friend, they are helped in understanding that they have been abused and mistreated.

Should everyone experience therapy during their life? I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing for people to enter the therapy room and see if it works for them. Admittedly, it’s not for everyone and I’d say a large part of that is due to the ego that can override one’s subconscious needs. However, from personal experience I assert that it can be life changing and a liberating experience, and from a professional point of view, it’s extremely rewarding to witness others flourish as a result of many hours of reflection and dedication to personal growth.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting in

Reasons for a narcissist's anger

EMDR - my experience