Turning points

I have been inspired to write this post following a chat with other survivors about ‘turning points’ in the healing process. It is evident that turning points don’t always appear obvious at the time because it is a gradual journey, but looking back on our path we are able to see just how far we have come.

In my experience, the first significant turning point was finding my voice through poetry; a gift that had remained dormant for years since I first discovered my love for it as a child. Poetry was my way of freely expressing myself and reclaiming a part of myself that had been lost for a long time. I must also mention the book ‘The Courage to Heal’ which inspired me to do written exercises and connect with my inner child. The stories included in the book by other survivors really gave me hope that I would heal and move on to a more fulfilling life. In hindsight, I can see how this was possible through years of reflection, perseverance and support.

This blog has also been my way of expressing myself and recording my journey, and I have learnt new things every time I have tackled a new subject. Reading about the effects of abuse enabled me to better understand the past patterns and behaviours in my life and notice myself slowly change year after year. The purpose of this blog has not only been to share my stories but to also offer hope and encouragement to other survivors who may read it. It’s ironic that as I write this post about turning points, I realise that I have reached a big one due to this blog now being 10 years old! But I must say that my biggest turning point was when I qualified as a counsellor and fulfilled my purpose of helping others as I reached the end of my own healing process.

And to answer a question that was asked: ‘What would you say to a survivor who thinks they will never have a turning point and feels stuck?’ I would say find a way to express yourself that suits you and keep at it. It doesn’t have to be creative, simply writing a journal can be a good way of recording your thoughts and feelings and seeing the progress you’ve made. Perhaps consider joining a support group or reach out to survivors online as this can help you to find your voice and feel supported. Ultimately, the journey is not always easy and will not happen overnight, so it’s important to take care of yourself along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitting in

My inner child has bloomed

Friends or Foe